4 Tips for designing with succulents
Succulents are the hot new trend in gardening and home décor. Easy care and low maintenance means fabulous designs without the fuss!
1. Thriller, Filler and Spiller – use this formula as you choose your succulent design plan.
- Thriller – Think tall, spikey, large and/or unique. You want this component to be the show stopper. If you are wanting to design a rounded ball look to your container, choose a large, bold, succulent with sharp lines.
- Filler – These are meant to complement not compete with your thriller while adding depth and design.
- Spiller – Adding a succulent to cascade over your pot or container is like icing on the cake. Something soft and subtle or perhaps a bit bold. Create a natural flow for the eyes with just a bit of trailing vine flowing over an edge.
2. What about color? Color will play a large part in your design. Succulents come in an array of colors making it easy to create cool design of contrasting colors. Monochromatic doesn’t have to be boring. Choose varying shades of a single color for added dimensions in your design and experiment with different shapes and sizes of the same color.
3. Keep it in the family. While several species are in the succulent family, not all require the same amount of light or water. Choose succulents that have similar watering and light needs to ensure a happy place for your succulents to survive and thrive!
4. Have fun! Look for fun and interesting containers to create your designs in. Recycle an old drawer, box, or even a colander from the kitchen. Make sure your soil has adequate drainage and let your imagination lead you.