Fall is just around the corner and our garden centers are bursting with the colors of the season! What better way to enjoy some fall color than with mums. It's so inviting to walk up to the front door and being greeted by bright, cheerful blooms of mums and pumpkins!
Mums add a perfect pop of color in a container or when placed on the front step or patio table. As long as you take proper care of them, mums will bring you a season of color.
Why buy mums from Earl May when I see them everywhere?
- Know how your mums are grown. If you are just using them for a few days this may not seem important, but we want our customers to enjoy them for the season. Mums grown using natural outdoor conditions, like ours, allow buds to come on slowly and naturally, extending the bloom time for each plant. Most box stores use artificial light, which forces the bloom. They have the maximum color at the store, but once you get them home, they quickly fade and don't put on any more blooms.
- Earl May mums are grown locally and chosen specifically for this area. Our varieties are grown specially for the Midwest. We only chose varieties that will give you the maximum bloom time. Ideally, purchase your mum with lots of buds that are just starting to open. Within a few days, the plant will be loaded with color and continue to bloom throughout the season.
- Check the tag and you will know exactly what variety and color you are getting.
Quick Mum Care Tips
Now that you selected the perfect mum, learn how to best take care of them.
- Always water at the base of the plant. When you water from the top, the blooms eventually split, creating a hole in the middle.
- Do not saturate the soil when watering. Watering too much results in mushy stems and decaying blooms.
- Place your mum in a sunny place.
- Deadhead by removing any dead blooms, stems, or leaves.
- If you are expecting a frost, move the mum to a protected area or cover with a sheet.
If you start by selecting the right plant and follow that up with proper care, you will have set the stage for a wonderful fall display!