What is better than FRESH flowers for your home? Not much. With the Christmas season around the corner, Amaryllis are a great holiday plant to decorate with. Amaryllis are easy to care for and produce gorgeous flowers.
Since it takes about 8 weeks for the bulbs to bloom, late October is the time to start them.
How To Get Started:
- Select large, solid bulbs that don’t show signs of decay. Larger bulbs usually produce two flower stalks.
- Use a pot that is 1 to 2 inches wider than the diameter of the bulb.
- Add a small amount of potting soil to the bottom of the pot and place the bulb atop the soil and in the center of the pot.
- Fill the pot with additional potting soil.
- Water the soil with lukewarm water and place it in a room that is between 70º to 75º F. Allow the soil to dry before watering again. Keep the soil moist, but not wet.
- When the plant starts to grow, move it to a sunny window.
- Turn the pot each day to keep the flower growing straight. Flower stalks that start to lean will more then likely need to be staked.
- When the Amaryllis starts to bloom, move the plant to a slightly cooler location, 65º to 70º F. This will help prolong the life of the blossoms.
Want more information? Check out our Amaryllis Pamphlet.