Sometimes looks can be deceiving and when it comes to lawn care products, a pretty bag doesn’t always mean what’s inside is your best value. Large companies and discount chains use many tricks to fool customers into believing their cheaper products will perform as well as other more expensive options.
Unfortunately, unless you are schooled in turf management, most unsuspecting customers will never know the difference and buy the cheaper bag….only to be disappointed later.
Other companies cheapen their products with inferior ingredients and don’t understand the needs of Midwest lawns. Earl May is an expert in lawn care, spending years testing products to provide our customers with premium products specially formulated to deliver superior results.
Here are 5 reasons why our Crabgrass Preventer is truly, the best choice!
Superior active ingredients
– The “crabgrass control” in a crabgrass preventer comes from the active ingredient formulated into the fertilizer. Discount products use active ingredients that may last 30-60 days. Earl May uses Prodiamine- the best available with control up to 90 days. It is also the most stable product, meaning it does not break down and become ineffective after excessive heavy rainfall like cheaper products.
High rate of active ingredients
– The higher the rate of active ingredients in a product, the better the results. Poor quality products skimp on these amounts, while Earl May adds a higher rate to insure customer success. We know there is nothing more frustrating than a lawn full of crabgrass.
Extended Release Fertilizer
– Poor quality lawn fertilizer contains a high amount of Urea fertilizer. This type of fertilizer works quickly to green up a lawn, but it does not last long. After 3 weeks of near constant mowing, your lawn will run out of gas and turn yellow again. Earl May uses a sulfur coated Urea instead. This type of fertilizer is time released, slowly feeding your lawn over time, lasting up to 2 months or more.
More Fertilizer per bag
– The fertilizer analysis on our bag of crabgrass preventer reads 27-0-3. This refers to the percent of Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium, respectively in the bag. To determine the amount of Nitrogen you need to multiply the percentage by the bag weight. An 18lb bag of Earl May Crabgrass Preventer has over 5 pounds of Nitrogen in each bag! Make sure to check the weight of the bag along with the percentage of Nitrogen when shopping. Higher percentages with smaller weight bags means less fertilizer for your lawn.
Made for the Midwest
– Midwest soils are unique and require additional nutrients. Earl May adds extra Iron and sulfur to feed the soil providing exactly what is needed to grow a dark green lawn. These nutrients are often in very small amounts or completely lacking in cheaper products.
For more information on Earl May’s Lawn Products, visit our online store.